The Punjab Information Commission has following powers under the Punjab Transparency & Right to Information Act, 2013 to implement the said law;
- The Commission is vested with powers of Civil Court,
- While excercising powers of Civil Court, it may summon and enforce attendence, compell to give oral or written evidence on oath and to produce documents, examine and inspect information, recieve evidence on affidavits, requisition information from any office and issue summons for witnesses or documents,
- The Commission is empowered to award penalty upto Rs. 50,000/- under section 15 of the Act,
- A PIO can be awarded penalty where he has refused to recieve application without any reasonable cause, has not furnished information within time limit, has malafidely denied the request or knowingly gave incorrect, incomplete or misleading information,
- The offenses of destroying record or obstruction for access to information are punishable with imprisonment upto a term of 2 years or with fine upto Rs. 10,000/- or with both,
- The Commission while excercising said powers may conduct an inquiry on its own accord (suo-moto) or on a complaint and may direct a public body to disclose information to an applicant or in a pro-active manner,
- The Commission may direct a public body to maintain information in an easily accessible form including electronic or computerized forms for easy retrieval.