Key functions of the Punjab Information Commission are to:
- Issue directives to public bodies for preservation, management, publication, publicity and access to information
- Prescribe the procedure for accessing information from a public body
- Advise and provide support to the Government to make necessary laws and procedures for implementation of the right to information
- Provide technical and other support to the public bodies for effective enforcement of right to information
- Conduct training of the public information officers (PIOs)
- Undertake mass awareness campaign to create awareness about the Act, Rules and Regulations
- Establish an information web-portal
- Compile a user handbook in Urdu and English, containing such information in easily comprehensible form and manner as may reasonably be required by an applicant
- Compile guidelines for use by the public information officers.
In addition, the Commission is required to submit to the Government an annual report on implementation of provisions of the Punjab Transparency and RTI Act 2013 by August 31 every year. The Government is then required to lay the annual report before Provincial Assembly of the Punjab.
The Commission plans to setup an information web-portal, and is currently compiling RTI user handbooks (in Urdu and English) for public officials and citizens.